Lately everyone has been writing posts of their must-have items for this summer, and frankly, I’ve been enjoying those posts! I’m super excited for summer -it’s neat to see what other people are buying to help them get ready for the most anticipated season of the year and to get ideas of what I should get for Summer 2014!
So I decided I would post a list as well….but of the must have summer items for the year 2000 (Can anyone believe that was FOURTEEN YEARS AGO?!). I came across my copy of YM magazine (why aren’t they a magazine anymore?) from May 2000. It features the members of TLC on it (they don’t want no scrubs!). A lot can change in fourteen years – the girl on the left is dead now. 😦
Has the style much over the past fourteen years? Here’s the list of what the must have summer items of 2000 were:
1. “Everything’s Rosy. Spare yourself the sunburn – but keep the pink glow – with a tinted visor. Adidas, $16.”
2. “Be a beach bum! This fluffy towel may be the colour of the ocean, but it will keep you nice and dry. Rust, $21.”
3. “Sun sack. A fab bag big enough for all your beach needs. Gap, $18.50.”
4. “Mellow Yellow. Snag a sunny outlook with tinted lenses.” Guess, $45.”
5. “Sporty Sipper. Don’t forget to hydrate! Nike, $7.”
6. “Heart of the Mat-ter. Roll out the good times with this straw mat. Roxy, $40.”
7. “It’s a wrap! A surf-scene miniskirt is definitely a cool cover-up. Jimmy’Z, $24.99.”
8. “Tee-rific. Stay warm when the sun goes down in a Hawaiian-print baseball tee. Toes on the Nose, $28.”
9. “In the Clear. Sturdy wooden soles make these slides perfect for sand-stepping. Roxy, $32.95.”
In general, these are all must have items for the beach…but when it’s specifically these particular items, I think we need a little upgrade.
The following is my updated 2014 must have beach items:
1. Floppy Sun Hat and/or Fedora – I LOVE floppy sun hats. I had one last summer, but I wore it canoeing, and literally within the first three minutes of being in the canoe, the wind blew my sun hat into the river and it was ruined. So I need to get another sun hat for this summer. I love how classy and glamorous these huge sun hats make me feel, plus they have great coverage to protect you from the sun. Typically, I don’t love wearing fedoras, but this straw one with the pink ribbon was way too cute to leave out…I might even make an exception to my no-fedora wearing rule and get this because it’s so pretty. Both of these are from American Eagle (my favorite brand store). The floppy sun hat is 21.66 CAD and the fedora is 21.66 CAD but currently AE has a deal on where if you buy one you get the second one for $10.
2. A Brightly Colored Beach Towel – I love brightly colored beach towels that have a simple design (like stripes) instead of a huge picture on it. These towels pictured above are Turkish towels; they supposedly absorb water as fast as towels, dry five times quicker and are extremely lightweight. Plus, how cute is that blue and white striped one?! These are available on Etsy from TheAnatolian for $26.80 CAD.
3. Beach bag with a cute, summery print
What I love about this tote is that it has both a summery/ nautical feel…the summery vibe from the cherries and the nautical vibe from the rope straps. This bag is available at Forever 21, and is currently on sale for $12!
4. Big Frame Sunglasses – No matter how hard I try, neither the Ray Ban nor the Aviator style of sunglasses will look good on me. The big frame sunnies are my go-to.The bigger frames make me feel a little extra glamorous. These are available from Forever21 for $6.80 CAD.
5. Iced Tea Mug – Okay, well, it’s not only for iced tea. The reason why I chose this David’s Tea mug is because it has double walls. That means that whether you have something really hot or something really cold, you won’t feel it on your hands because of the double wall. Hurrah! Also, this mug is allegedly shatterproof and has a no leak lid. This costs only $14.50 CAD.
6. Picnic Blanket/ Table Cloth – I’m not really sure why those straw mats were ever a thing. I never really cared much for them. What I DO think is a great idea is taking a fabric table cloth/ picnic blanket to the beach. That way, several of your friends can sit on it with you and you can even eat your lunch on it without having to worry about a bunch of sand. I chose this table cloth because the yellow is SO summery/beachy, and the chevron pattern is cute! This is available on Etsy from WenasHomeDecor for $36 USD.
7. For a bathing suit cover, I would opt for a lightweight dress. Once again, I love bright beachy colors and this cover up from Aerie is perfect to throw on when you’re leaving the beach because it’s a cute outfit you can wear for the rest of the day! This is available for 27.09 CAD.
8. Something that I will be wearing a lot through the scorching hot summer will be chiffon. It’s so light and breezy that it makes those scorching days bearable. Plus, look at that pink – so pretty! This is available at American Eagle for $32.52 CAD.
9. Strappy Sandals – I really want to find a pair of strappy sandals. Something with a little sparkle that makes them feel a little extra special. These gorgeous sandals are available from Call It Spring for $45 CAD.
So there you have it, the trends of 2000 and what they look like today (well, at least for me).
What do you think of the year 2000’s must have beach items? What do you think of my list? What’s your must have beach item?